Breaking News

The Mini Bag That Actually Fits Things

Lee Radziwill Petite Bag

Tory Burch toryburch.com

$498.00

Mini bags can be cute, but also faintly ridiculous. Like my colleague Chloe Hall so astutely wondered about Kendall Jenner's micro-mini bag: What can you actually fit in that thing?

I'd never been tempted to try the trend until recently when my beloved Tory Burch Lee Radziwill bag was shrunken down to a petite size. You see, I have a weakness for retro-inspired shapes that I don't feel wrong calling a pocketbook (and think Lee is the ultimate style icon).

Additionally, I like my crossbody bags to have a top handle since it gives me options for how to carry (over the shoulder; cross body; in the crook of my arm). And while I have plenty of "work" bags, I'm usually at more of a loss on the weekends when the amount of stuff I need to tote around goes way down.

The petite Lee was my answer. Why?

Confirmed: You can fit an XL cell phone.

For my non-office bags, I don't need much: Space for my phone (a Google Pixel XL—nearly identical to a large iPhone), lip balm, and my wallet and/or a pared-back handful of credit cards. Check, check, check. Everything fits (I skip the wallet if I want to close the bag; it works/doesn't spill everything/looks chic open too) and isn't so tiny that it's comical.

#ELLEloves is a place to share the things ELLE editors love. Because sharing is caring.">

The removable crossbody strap makes it dual-purpose.

I'm very into the idea of two-for-one styling and bags can be strong contenders in this category. I've been carrying the petite Lee on the regular to run errands, go to Pilates, or grab lunch, but I also plan on removing the long strap and using the bag for formal events.

It lets me pretend I'm Lisa Rinna.

Rinna is one of the Housewives whose style I'm most drawn to. It's different than mine, but has a streamlined quality and consistency I really appreciate. As such, I loved when she debuted her mini Hermès Kelly this season (and had a moment explaining to the ladies how she isn't really one to splash out on handbags, but thought she ought to treat herself).

Regardless, I love how the Lee has the same vibe as a Kelly, but isn't trying to pretend it is a Kelly—the distinction is supremely important in my mind. It's classy, it's timeless, it's understated, and it gets the job done. What more do you need from a bag?

No comments